This is good beef!
With our current herd size, we anticipate finishing six to eight animals each year. Each animal has a live weight of about 1000 pounds, a hanging weight around 500 pounds, and a yield of between 300 and 350 pounds of meat. Selling the meat from even a single animal one steak or pound of ground beef at a time requires storing a lot of meat and spending a lot of time making a lot of individual sales, both of which push up the price per pound. My goal is to keep my costs, including labor, low so I can charge customers lower prices while still running an economically sustainable business.
In order to keep prices low, I limit my sales to 50 pound packages and send animals to the slaughterhouse only when I have sold most or all of the expected yield. My prices account for
the cost of raising the animals, transporting them to the slaughterhouse, the processing fees charged by the slaughterhouse, and my time picking up meat and coordinating orders. I strive to be as transparent as possible about my costs and pricing. If you have questions, please ask!
I offer five packages:
1) The Mix – 25 lbs of ground, 25 lbs of mixed steaks and roasts (my choice; can include ribeye, NY strip, sirloin, tenderloin, skirt, hanger, flank, shoulder roast, or eye round roast) – $475
2) The Half Mix – 13 lbs of ground, 12 lbs of mixed steaks and roasts (my choice; can include ribeye, NY strip, sirloin, tenderloin, skirt, hanger, flank, shoulder roast, or eye round roast) – $250
3) The Ground – 40 pounds of ground beef with 10 pounds of stew beef in there as well – $300
3) The Small Ground – 20 pounds of ground beef with 5 pounds of stew beef in there as well – $165
4) Steaks and Stuff – 50 pounds of steaks and roasts (my choice; can include ribeye, NY strip, sirloin, tenderloin, skirt, hanger, flank, shoulder roast, or eye round roast) – $650
Customers can buy multiple packages, but there is a finite number of each package. Those ordering packages with steaks and roasts are welcome to request certain cuts or quantities. I will take requests into consideration. I will prioritize the requests of those who purchase three or more packages.
Meat must be picked up at Mockingbird Farm in Easthampton. The pick-up time will be established in coordination with all purchasers around the time the animal is delivered to the slaughterhouse.
A $50 deposit is due when an order is placed, a payment of 50% (minus the $50 deposit) is due within a week of the animal being delivered to the slaughterhouse and the balance is due when the meat is picked up.
Ready to order?
Please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll respond with details about payment and information about when your order will likely be available.